Banner

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Color Therapy

Now that it's almost halfway through December, the winter blues are really starting to kick in. Luckily I have lots of pretty yarn to make me smile. There's something almost magical about the way a skein of bright colored yarn can cheer me up.

I'm not the only one.. Right?

My newest purchase from Toil and Trouble on Etsy!

Once I started noticing myself feeling a little more down in the dumps than usual, I got an idea. Since every time I looked at my stash I would smile, I decided to grab a basket and put a few of my favorite skeins in it, and bring it upstairs with me (I keep most of my stash confined to my basement). 

That basket has been hanging out in random places in the living room and kitchen, and ya know what? I never look at it and go "Ugh, there's another thing I need to put away!". I almost always smile.


Right around this time I started reading "Crochet Saved My Life" by Kathryn Vercillo. I've been following her blog Crochet Concupiscence for a few months, and when she announced the release of her newest book, I knew I had to have it. Needless to say, since battling depression myself, it's nice to hear others stories and accounts with how crochet helped them deal with and overcome many different illnesses. 

In the book she mentions the use of 'color therapy' a few times, and this really intrigued me. I never realized how much a simple thing like the color of yarn could improve my mood.

Yesterday was one of those days.
I found a skein of brightly colored Simply Soft yarn hiding in a corner, and I decided to make something with it. Instead of using the skein as it was, I sat and rolled it into a ball, focusing on the beautiful bright teal color. 
I slowly felt my mood improving.

The start of my infinity scarf!

Using this pattern just released by Moogly the night before, I started on this super easy infinity scarf. The bright, happy color mixed with the simplicity of the pattern made for some wonderful relaxation time for me. I'm also looking forward to wearing this out!
Hopefully it will carry that bright and happy feeling wherever it goes.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie, you are definitely are not the only one! Thank you for posting this splash of happiness for me to find!

    TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete