Banner

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ribbed Headband/Ear Warmer - Free Crochet Pattern

Ever since making the granny stripe headband, I've been wearing them every time I leave the house! My hair is almost always up in a bun, so I don't usually wear hats. Therefore these headbands that double as earwarmers are perfect for me. I hope there are others out there like me!

My only problem with the granny stripe headband is, although it keeps my head sufficiently warm, it does have holes in it. I foresee this being a problem in the future, so I decided to whip up something a little more warm and cozy.

This headband (like most of my patterns) is fully customizable to you. You decide how wide you want it, how big (or small!) to make it, and of course, whatever pretty color you want on it also! Add a flower or other embellishment, or leave it as is. Its completely up to you!

This headband uses a few 'fancy' stitches if you're a beginner. But don't be intimidated just yet! I've included some video tutorials so you can really get the hang of it. Once you learn them, you can make all kinds of advanced looking goodies! (seriously though, isn't it fun to impress your family and friends?!)


Ribbed Headband/Ear Warmer Pattern

Materials
I Hook (5.5mm) 
Worsted Weight Yarn

Special Stitches (click on the link for a video tutorial!)

FSC 47 (or adjust to fit comfortably around your head)
CH 1, turn. SC down each FSC. Join to your first SC to make a round.
CH 3, DC in each stitch around. Slip stitch to CH 3 to complete the round.
CH 3, *FPDC in post of next DC in previous row. DC in next st.* Repeat around. End with a FPDC, and slip stitch into the ch 3 to complete the round.
Repeat the previous row until your headband is as wide as you like.
Ch 1, SC in each stitch around. Slip stitch to complete the round.
Repeat previous row once more. 
Finish off and weave in ends.








I hope you enjoy the end result as much as I do! Try experimenting with different a different sized hook or a different yarn weight. I'd love to see what you come up with!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great pattern. I am loving the FSC but have never been able to do it without the pictorial tutorial. Have made 2 today.

    ReplyDelete